Thursday, February 17, 2005

I want you to be here

Attended Gothamist's Movable Hype v. 2.0 last night and saw some good bands. It wasn't as crowded as I expected though. The Cloud Room were ok. Good songs, but nothing outstanding really. And I may be one of the only people that finds "Hey Now Now" a little annoying.

Other Passengers were very good. I'm a sucker for reverb and effects pedals, so their shoegazing sound works for me. Surprisingly, the bass lines really held the sound together. I picked up their EP at the show and will give a listen later.




The Information (2)
Originally uploaded by thistwilightgarden.


I've read a lot of good things about The Information, and I was indeed impressed by their show, and, frankly, by the number of people that they could fit on the Knitting Factory stage. I liked the use of female backing vocals - although they weren't loud enough last night to compete with the guitars. This was just good indie rock. Their album, Mistakes We Knew We Were Making, is very good - especially "Getting Even" and "Tremble."


Elkland (2)
Originally uploaded by thistwilightgarden.
Elkland was the final band to go on and they put on a good set - very similar to the one I heard in January, but this time the lead singer didn't have a cold. He also did the strange robot dancing again - I guess that's his trademark. They have a tight synth sound, which I think sounds a little like Erasure with live drumming. The guitarist and keyboardist again did their "this is my serious face" throughout the performance. The crowd seemed to have thinned out by the time Elkland went on, and those who left missed a really good show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home