Saturday, February 19, 2005

I love Doves

I really have a hard time expressing how much I love Doves. After hearing just one song of theirs ("The Man Who Told Everything"), I went and saw them at the 9:30 Club in D.C. back in 2000 (with some unknown band called The Strokes opening for them). It was one of the most powerful shows I've ever seen. It truly blew me away - especially with the backing images to go along with their melodic sounds. The place wasn't even that crowded and I was just standing right up front in complete awe.

Anyway, I just picked up their new album Some Cities and while no Lost Souls (one of my top 3 debut albums of all time), it's really great. It picks up where Last Broadcast left off and has poppier riffs than the dark and atmospheric Lost Souls (which I prefer). "Black and White Town" is truly the best pick for a single - very catchy. "The Storm" is an ode to Portishead, and almost appears to be using loops from Dummy. "Ambition" is a strong atmospheric closer. Not a bad track to be found here.

"Almost Forgot Myself," "One of These Days," and "Ambition" are my favorites.

I CANNOT wait to see them at the Bowery next month!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home