Monday, June 06, 2005

Conclusory statements

I'm continually impressed with Saints and Lovers. Their Tiswas show was really good - weaving atmospheric sounds throughout the room. Both loud and emotionally powerful, their songs really hit you hard. Apparently there are two schools of thought on their music. Some argue that their percussion-less, stripped down tunes are better, while others prefer the harder, in-your-face tunes. I'm more of the latter and I really enjoy the force that the drums bring in. And their cover of "Atmosphere" on Saturday night was great.

After Saints and Lovers, Andy Rourke dj'ed. It was cool to see him, but I didn't think he did a good job of song selection or dj'ing. A lot of empty space between songs. I didn't stay long, so it might have become better after the first 10 songs or so.

And I've been listening to the new Coldplay album, X&Y. A little grandiose and melodramatic, it makes you yearn for the simplicity of Parachutes. And Chris relies on the falsetto a little too much. Don't you think the other band members ever say, "can we rock now?" That being said, it's still good and will most likely sell 5 million copies. I think it pretty much leaves off where A Rush of Blood ended. "Talk" and "Speed of Sound" are probably the best tracks on the album.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

great blog, i've been reading for a while now and recently got around to linking it to mine.

i actually think 'speed of sound'/'talk' are the worse songs on the album...i really like the latter half of the album, "swallowed in the sea" and "low" are great

-mishie
www.boltofblue.net/michelle

12:26 PM  
Blogger Christopher said...

The demo version of "Talk" that leaked a while back is much better than the version on X&Y - although the lyrics are weaker, the music is much harder. I like "Low" too, but I'm not a fan of "Swallowed in the Sea." It's a good album, but I think it relies too much on falsetto vocals and the piano rather than just rocking out from time to time.

And Mishie, you've been duly linked.

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's nothing great about saints and lovers. That guy is such a fake and the tunes are BORING and repetitive. That's what I got out of it.

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Blog!

I have to agree with the above post. I've been reading a lot of blogger hype (mainly from the guy's girlfriend, Melody N.)on Saints and Lovers for the last few months and it is definitely not warranted. They sound (and look) like they're trying to be something they're in fact not. I've read references to Joy Division, MBV & Slowdive but when listening to S&L music and seeing them live one can compare them to anything but those acts. Slowdive? MBV? What kind of ploy is this? If anything I'd say Jeff Buckley fronting a U2 cover band with Radio Head aspirations. Those aren't necessarily bad things, but overall something still rubs us the wrong way.

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home