Monday, March 21, 2005

My two cents...

I've had New Order's Waiting for the Siren's Call and Bloc Party's Silent Alarm for a couple of weeks now. And now that I've had the proper time to get a feel for both, here are my two cents on the releases.

I spent a three and a half hour train ride last weekend listening to Waiting for the Siren's Call, and although I was put off a little by "Krafty" when I first heard it (and still am), I think that this is a really strong album. The rockier tracks are ok, but the dancier ones are better. Nevertheless, it kinda sounds like a band that wants to sound like New Order.

"Who's Joe" is a great lead-off track for New Order because it first hits with a sweeping string section, throws in some bass synth sounds, and then storms into the track - a good build-up before the song really starts. The title track is very Technique-esque - in both the lyrics and instrumentation. "I Told You So" has an interesting reggae beat to it (slightly reminiscent of the early cover "Turn the Heater On"). "Morning Night and Day" is a standard New Order dance track. And although I've read bad reviews of this track, "Jetstream" with Ana Matronic is not too bad - interesting dual vocals. My favorite track is "Guilt Is a Useless Emotion" - the perfect dance track, something other bands/dj's try to emulate but can't. It has a hard synth on top of a driving beat and the right amount of female harmonizing. I cannot wait to see New Order on May 5th, which sadly will be the first time for me.

And now for Kele and co.: Bloc Party's Silent Alarm is an amazing album. Much more polished than their great EP. It's full of staccato punk rhythms and sharp lyrics with pounding beats. "Like Eating Glass" is a perfect opener - slowly building up to the hard end. "Helicopter" and "Banquet" are both good floor-stompers, both of which I play when dj'ing. "She's Hearing Voices" and "Price of Gasoline" are both dark, edgy songs - and are amazing live.

I've had the pleasure of seeing them at the Motherfucker President's Day Freak-Out, and am looking forward to their Bowery shows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home