Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Step ... into ...the ... future...

So while I was home for Christmas I decided to transfer old videotapes on to DVDs, primarily for the music videos I still had on VHS. These videos were almost exclusively from MTV's 120 Minutes. Remember that show? It was outstanding - the reason that I developed a fondness for "alternative" music. It was great watching the old episodes of 120 with Dave Kendall as the host (what ever happened to that guy? this interview kinda goes into it), which included interviews with The Cure, live shows from The Cure and a bunch of their videos circa Disintegration and Wish, a special on Siouxsie and the Banshees on the eve of their tour with Lollapalooza, Morrissey interviews and videos from Your Arsenal, videos from The Charlatans, The Sugarcubes, and early Manic Street Preachers videos. It was interesting to see how 120 covered the "movements" of that time - especially the Manchester "baggy" sound (videos from Flowered Up, The Farm, the Mondays, Ned's Atomic Dustbin, The Soup Dragons) and the grunge sound. 120 Minutes basically became useless once the "alternative" became mainstream - like when the "new" video from Nirvana wouldn't cut it after 11pm on a Sunday night - and when Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. became really popular, 120 was unnecessary. I miss those days though - I loved coming home from school on Monday afternoon and watching the episode of 120 that I taped the night before. I can still remember the first time I saw the video for Lush's "For Love"...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember 120 Minutes... vividly. Your mention of it just put me in a time warp.

Nice work with the blog. Happy New Year!

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home