Tuesday, March 04, 2014

My Favorites of 2013

Yet again, due to a lack of time or attentiveness or the fact that there is just so much new music out there, I really cannot put together a Top 10 list of my favorite albums / songs for 2013.  So I'll just list a lot of the new stuff and old favorites that I've been listening to this year:

Flight Facilities' "I Didn't Believe" - possibly my favorite new song from 2013.  The perfect modern disco track!

Rudimental's Home - great album all around - love Sinead Harnett's and MNEK's contributions ("Baby" and "Spoons," respectively); "Home," "More Than Anything," and "Powerless" are great as well.

Disclosure's Settle - up there with Rudimental for overall solidness - slightly garage-ier though.  Sinead's contribution here is fantastic as well ("Boiling").  And how can one not like "When a Fire Starts to Burn"?

Johnny Marr's new album The Messenger - particularly "New Town Velocity" and "The Right Thing Right."  Some classic Marr guitar here.

Suede's Bloodsports (their first new album in a while) is good, although not great.  The music is there, but Brett's voice is really straining now.  "Sabotage" is the best of the bunch.

Cut Copy's Free Your Mind is also quite good, but not their greatest work.  An improvement from Zonoscope though.  And a total throwback to 1989-1991 acid house - as if Technique was mixed with Screamadelica, Pills, Thrills, and Bellyaches, and an Australian accent.  (I also listened to In Ghost Colours a lot this year.)

Warpaint's "Love Is To Die" (can't wait for their new album to drop in 2014)

CHVCHES - "Lies"

Arcade Fire's "Reflektor" (the song moreso than the album)

Phoenix - "Trying to Be Cool" (the album is so-so, but this song is excellent)

Beacon - "Bring You Back"

RAC - "Let Go" (with Kele)

Haerts - "All the Days"

Great Good Fine OK - "You're The One For Me"

Still Corners' "Strange Pleasures"

And I've really enjoyed and/or have gotten back into the following stuff from my archives:

Doves' Lost Souls, The Last Broadcast, and their related B-sides (such as Rise, Sea Song, and Blue Water).  I forgot how great Doves are and how much I love them.

Fluke's "Kitten Moon," "Atom Bomb," and "Reeferendrum" from Risotto (great tunes, particularly the contribution to the The Saint soundtrack, one of my fave soundtracks of all time)

Volta Bureau's "Hot," "Hope," and "Love Cubed"

The Karminsky Experience's "Departures" (what a great, loungey travel song)

Electronic's "Second Nature," "Disappointed," "Getting Away With It," and "Vivid."

The Charlatans' Tellin' Stories and Us and Us Only.

The Libertines' and Babyshambles' singles - such great stuff, in such a short period of time.

Ned's Atomic Dustbin's "Capital Letters" and really anything from God Fodder.

New Sense's "Ready To Leave" (my dream job is to be a music supervisor and the first thing I'd do if I had such job would be to include this song into the post-breakup, introspective montage of a film/tv show.  Separately, how did this song not take off - it's amazing!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home